1894 MOUNT OLIVET CHURCH, FIFTH DISTRICT, NEW ORLEANS, LA. YEAR BOOK & DIRECTORY For Sale
This item has been shown 103 times.
1894 MOUNT OLIVET CHURCH, FIFTH DISTRICT, NEW ORLEANS, LA. YEAR BOOK & DIRECTORY:
"Mount Olivet Church exists under a charter granted by the Governor of the State in 1853. The parish has been in union with the Diocese ever since that year. The present rector is the twelfth in the line of succession, having taken charge of the parish on the 1st of September, 1892. This Year Book makes its appearance at a significant time. The hope, long deferred,of seeing a new and suitable building, in which to worship GOD, is about to bear fruit....to be completed on the 1st of July, the new building has been planned with a view to the future as well as the present needs of the parish. The building will be of brick, of substantial character, thoroughly "Churchly" in all its appointments. For pleasing effects, the reliance is upon good proportions and graceful architectural lines, rather than upon expensive but useless ornamentation. The tower will be the most graceful of any in the City."YEAR BOOKAND DIRECTORY OF MOUNT OLIVET CHURCH, FIFTH DISTRICT, NEW ORLEANS, FOR THE YEAR 1894. Rev. Arthur Howard Noll, Rector,Residence, 50 1/2 Olivier St.New Orleans: T. H. THOMASON, BOOK AND JOB PRINTER, 33 NATCHEZ STREET, 1894. Only Edition. 12mo, 33 pages, frontispiece [Design for MOUNT OLIVET CHURCH, by Mcdonald Bros, Architects, Rooms 41 & 44 Bull Block, Fifth and Market Sts. Louisville, Ky.], local ads, parish directory; lists of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, etc. Original printed wraps, stitched; exhibiting light edgewear, couple closed short tears, now stabilized; recent paper conservation to spine, corner of upper wrap; four pages browned, else interior clear and unmarked; Wednesday, May 9, 1894 newspaper clipping folded and laid-in: The Algiers Herald, "The Ceremonies Attending The Laying of the Corner Stone of Mount Olivet Episcopal Church" [Among the articles deposited in the corner stone, was a copy of the King James version of the Old and New Testament; a copy of the standard book of common prayer; copy of the Journal of the Diocese of Louisiana; copy of the year book and parish directory of Mount Olivet Church 1894, containing names of Parochial officers and organizations, and a list of persons who were confirmed within the parish (Likely this copy, noting provenance, definitelywarrantsfurther investigation); copies of Church News of Mississippi and Louisiana for February and April, 1894; a copy of Algiers News of December 11, 1864; copy of Algiers Herald dated May 2, 1894, etc. etc.]Mount Olivet Episcopal Church, located at 530 Pelican Avenue on Algiers Point, is the oldest church building in continuous use on the West Bank of New Orleans. Built in 1854, under the authority of then Bishop Leonidas Polk, the building has been in continuous use for over one hundred fifty years.The first services for the group that later evolved to become Mount Olivet Church were held in the parlor of the Hughes Hotel in 1846. The hotel stood on the present site of the Belleville School at the corner of Peters (now Pelican) and Belleville Streets, two blocks south of the present building. The congregation was formally organized in 1848.Patterson Avenue was the center of business in Old Algiers, which was a separate town from New Orleans in those days. Access to New Orleans was obtained via the Third District Ferry. The only remnants of the old ferry building are a retaining wall and the steps used to access the building. The ferry crossed the river and landed at Esplanade Avenue across the street from the Old Mint building. Residents of Algiers regularly used the ferry to shop in the French Market and the many shops in the French Quarter.The current church building was dedicated as a house of worship in 1854. It is built entirely of cypress and has withstood two fires and several hurricanes. Changing liturgical fashions and use as a Parish Hall for some sixty years have altered the interior of the building, but it remains an entirely charming place.The building which now faces Pelican Avenue originally faced south onto Olivier Street. A racetrack was located across Olivier Street and the ladies of the church objected to attending services while "a bunch of hooligans" were exercising their horses in front of the church building. Numerous references to this disturbance are noted in the minutes of the Vestry meetings during that time. The ladies did not have to endure this discomfort for long as the track was closed in 1861. The horses were needed as mounts for officers of now General Leonidas Polk's cavalry.In 1862, Admiral David Farragut led Union Navy ships up the Mississippi from the Gulf of Mexico, past the Confederate guns of Forts Jackson and St. Philip and was prepared to bombard the city when the civic leaders surrendered New Orleans without a fight. General "Spoons" Butler was given change of the military occupation of the city including Algiers. General Butler was alleged to have stolen silverware from the homes of New Orleans citizens and was henceforth known as "Spoons" to the locals.Under military occupation all public oration, including religious oratory, was required to conform to allegiance to the United States of America. The man in charge of Mount Olivet Church was ordered to cease praying for Jefferson Davis in the prayer of the Whole State of Christ's Church and to pray for Abraham Lincoln instead. This he refused to do and so was arrested and removed to Mobile. He was later sent to New York City where he completed further studies for the ministry. After the war, he was ordained in Mobile and returned to Mount Olivet in 1866. During the war, General Butler closed the church placing it under interdiction and commandeered the Rectory, tow doors to the east of the church on Olivier, for use as a Union hospital.Following the war, the land on which the racetrack had been located was sold and subdivided into home sites. Many fine homes were constructed and many still stand today. In 1878, the ladies of the church again complained to the vestry and asked that "oyster shells be placed in the driveway, for they were tired of getting their slippers wet".By the 1880's, Mount Olivet had outgrown the confines of this building and it was de--consecrated and moved to its present location to serve as a parish hall. A fine new brick church structure seating 300 people was built in its place (on the site of the current parish hall). Unfortunately, by 1961, the underpinnings of the brick building were giving way and the structure had to be torn down. The building, upon being re-consecrated, again became the parish church building. Most of the furnishings visible in the building today came from the brick building.The Altar, Communion Rail, and Gate, Reredos, Lectern, Pulpit and pews all came from the brick building. The high wooden backing behind the reredos are the two sliding doors which used to open to admit the choir and procession from the Parish Hall into the brick structure.All of the windows in the building were salvaged from the brick structure. The stained glass windows depict principle turning points in the life of our Lord Jesus. The Annunciation, The Incarnation, teaching his Apostles, and The Crucifixion. The "Rose" window above the front doors had to be cut down and reshaped to fit the much smaller opening in the wooden building. It depicts St. John writing his books.Numerous plaques on the side wall to the right (as you face the Altar) memorialize various people in whose names this building was renovated. There is also a plaque recognizing the one hundred thirty-fourth year of Mount Olivet Church during the bicentennial year of 1976, along with a copy of the official seal of Mount Olivet Church showing the date of 1851, the year the church was officially received into the Diocese of Louisiana.-History of Mount Olivet Episcopal Church, 530 Pelican Avenue on Historic Algiers Point, New Orleans, La. 70114