BEWARE RAILROAD CHINA FAKE 3 PIECE COMBO* SMALL CREAMERS*EGG CUPS+ PLEASE READ For Sale
This item has been shown 152 times.
BEWARE RAILROAD CHINA FAKE 3 PIECE COMBO* SMALL CREAMERS*EGG CUPS+ PLEASE READ:
I see quite a few of these being offered without the word FAKE/FANTASY.
These were never issued by the railroad. All authentic railroad logos and designs are under the glaze.
1) Be aware/beware of the 3-piece condiment sets - FAKES or novelty items. Not even repro. The railroads never had sets like these. Nice for playing tea parties with your children.
2) the butter pats with the logos in the center with crackling/crazing. The RR never had these. Look at other pieces of authentic RR china and there will be no crackling/crazing. Not vintage, not railroad.
3) Other items that I have seen offered recently are the single egg cups with the railroad logo on it. NEVER ISSUED BY A RAILROAD.
4) Any railroad china with BTC, Homer Laughlin backstamp, except Amtrak, is a repro, but does not say so.
5) Missouri Pacific pocket calendars. They are slightly larger and have a very white border around the picture. REPRO!! & not by the railroad.
One way to tell is if one rubs a finger across the logo or design and feels that the logo and paint lines are slightly raised, then you know it is a fake.
Many years ago Sandknop printed a booklet identifying a beautiful NP logo as Northern Pacific and he named it Vallard. Come to find out it is the logo for the Netherlands Plaza Hotel. I saw a piece with the NP logo identified as Northern Pacific and it sold for $500 - it was from the hotel!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CONSULTING THESE PUBLICATIONS:
Railroad Commissary on Railsby Richard Luckin and
Railroad Detective,A Guide to Replica and Counterfeit Railroad Collectivesby Bill & Sue Knouse: railroadmemories.com[The black & white pictures are from this booklet.]
The Official Guide to Railroad Dining Car Chinaby Doug McIntyre