RARE 1627 PILGRIM JOHN ALDEN HOUSE RELICS PERFECT FOR MAYFLOWER DESCENDANT For Sale
This item has been shown 297 times.
RARE 1627 PILGRIM JOHN ALDEN HOUSE RELICS PERFECT FOR MAYFLOWER DESCENDANT:
ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY TO OWN (2) RELIC PAPERWEIGHTS CONTAINING BRICK FROM THE JOHN ALDEN HOUSE WHICH WAS BUILT IN 1627 IN DUXBURY, MA.
THESE PAPERWEIGHT RELICS WILL COME WITH THE JOHN ALDEN HOUSE BOOK WHICH WAS PUBLISHED IN 1938.
THE JOHN ALDEN HOUSE IS NOW (AS OF OCTOBER 6, 2008) A PROTECTED NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK AND NO OTHER RELICS WILL EVER BE ISSUED!!!
THE RELIC PAPERWEIGHTS WERE ISSUED IN 1976 BY THE DEGENHART PAPERWEIGHT MUSEUM IN OHIO. A DESCENDANT OF JOHN & PRISCILLA (MULLINS) ALDEN BROUGHT THE MUSEUM A BRICK FROM THE ORIGINAL JOHN ALDEN HOUSE AND HAD IT MADE INTO PAPERWEIGHT RELICS.
PLEASE SEE PHOTOS!!!
THESE ITEMS ARE PERFECT FOR ANY MAYFLOWER DESCENDANT OR PEOPLE WHO HAVE AN INTEREST IN EARLY AMERICAN HISTORY!!! PERFECT TO CELEBRATE 400TH ANNIVERSARY OF PILGRIM HISTORY (1620-2020)!!!
MEASUREMENT: EACH OF THE TWO PAPERWEIGHT RELICS ARE 3" INCHES IN DIAMETER.
WEIGHT: 1) 1LB 5.5 OZ & 2) 1LB 7.7 OZ
CONDITION: GOOD VINTAGE CONDITION. PLEASE SEE PHOTOS!!!
John and Priscilla Alden Family SitesFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to navigationJump to searchJohn and Priscilla Alden FamilySitesU.S. National Register of Historic PlacesU.S. National Historic LandmarkJohn Alden House, 2009Show map of MassachusettsShow map of the United StatesShow allLocation105 Alden St.,Duxbury, acres (0.97ha)Builtc. datesAdded to NRHPDecember 14, 1978DesignatedNHLOctober 6, 2008
TheJohn and Priscilla Alden Family Sitesis aNational Historic Landmarkconsisting of two separate properties States. Both properties are significant for their association withJohn Alden, one of the settlers of thePlymouth Colonywho came to North America on board theMayflower, and held numerous posts of importance in the colony. Alden and his relationship withPriscilla Mullinswere memorialized byHenry Wadsworth LongfellowinThe Courtship of Miles Standish, anarrative poemthat made the story a piece of American folklore.
One of the two properties contains the archaeological remains of the house John Alden built c. 1630, and is also significant in the field of historical archaeology as the mature field work ofRoland W. Robbins(1908–1987), an early historical archaeologist. It is on land owned by the Town of Duxbury. On the second property stands a house which was traditionally dated to c. 1657 as a work by Alden, but is, by forensic analysis, judged to have been built around 1700, probably by John Alden's grandson. This property has been under the continuous ownership of the Alden family; it is now managed by a family foundation as ahistoric house museum.Contents
- 1Alden Homestead Site
- 2John Alden House
- 4See also
- 7Further reading
- 8External links
The Alden Homestead Site is located on a knoll overlooking theBluefish River, on a parcel of land that is now owned by the Town of Duxbury, and is principally occupied by the Duxbury Junior High School. The site is marked by wooden posts which outline the site of the foundation excavated by Roland Wells Robbins in 1960. A bronze marker is mounted on a granite stone above 75 feet (23m) from the site, bearing the inscription "Site of the John Alden House built 1627". The property is part of a 100-acre (40ha) parcel granted to John Alden in 1621, and is about 750 feet (230m) from the John Alden House, which abuts the town property.
The site has been of archaeological interest since the 19th century, when historical artifacts were found in the area. The first formal archaeological survey of the area was conducted in the 1950s, but did not locate the homestead foundation. The Alden Kindred Foundation, owners of the John Alden House, hired Robbins in 1960 to investigate the area. He located and excavated a granite foundation, 38 by 10.5 feet (11.6m ×3.2m) in size, with evidence of a deep cellar hole underneath the western end. He excavated the area within the foundation, including the cellar, and recovered more than 7,000 historical artifacts and 2,000 prehistoric Native American artifacts. Most of these were nails and other construction materials. A significant number of cultural artifacts provide evidence that the site was last occupied in the 1650s. In consultation with other archaeologists who analyzed the finds, and based on documentary evidence, Robbins assigned the house a construction date of 1632.
Later research, including new fieldwork and reinterpretation of Robbins' work by Craig Chartier, suggests that the foundation might be an addition to an older 20 by 20 feet (6.1m ×6.1m) structure which wasearthfast(i.e. built on wooden posts set in the ground), a building method known from other Plymouth Colony sites. Chartier concludes that this site was Alden's home for most of his time in Plymouth.John Alden House in 1904
The John Alden House is a historichouse museumthat was purportedly home to John and Priscilla Alden. It is located at 105 Alden Street inDuxbury, Massachusetts. Scholarship variously dates it as built in 1653 according to family tradition, or c. 1700 according to more of the beams.
Alden was ship'scooperon theMayflowerwho arrived inPlymouthin 1620 and later moved to Duxbury. Although not aPilgrimhimself, he was an important figure throughout the period of thePlymouth Colony. This house may have used materials from Alden's earlier house which was nearby.
The sites were listed on theNational Register of Historic Placesin 1978,and were declared aNational Historic Landmarkon October 6, 2008.