[an error occurred while processing the directive]
The Goddess of Truth.
The next god is Min.List of Mythological Deities
- Cult Center: Throughout Egypt.
- Attributes: The goddess Maat represents the ideals of law, order, and truth. The word, Maat translates “that which is straight.” it implies anything that is true, ordered, or balanced. She was the female counterpart of Thoth. We know she is a very ancient goddess because we find her in the boat of Ra as it rose above the waters of the abyss of Nu on the first day. Together with Thoth, they charted the daily course of the sun god Ra. She is sometimes called the ‘eye of Ra’ or the ‘daughter of Ra’.Maat also plays an important part in the Book of the Dead. It is in the Hall of Maat the judgement of the dead was performed. This was done by weighing one’s heart (conscience) against the feather of Maat. If a balance was struck the deceased was deemed to be worthy of meeting Osiris in the after life. If the heart of the deceased was found to be heavier then the feather of Maat it would be devoured by Ammut.
- Representation: A woman wearing a tall ostrich feather on her head. Or an ostrich feather.
- Relations: Daughter of Ra, wife of Thoth.
- Other possible Names: Mayet